Starting a series of tests

Hello everybody, we have exciting news to share in this update as we tested Goliath CNC both on the internal heating and the dust bin emptying process. Over the last few weeks, we also made progress towards production, this time on the electronics as well as injection molding.

Heating tests
Some parts heat up when Goliath CNC runs, so on the road to design for manufacturing, before we freeze the design, we must make sure that the air vents work well and there is no problem of excessive heat.

To run the tests, we sealed the opened areas of the prototype except for the air vents, and we turned on all the motors. We drove each test constantly measuring the temperature of Goliath CNC both outside and inside until the temperature became stationary.

What are the results?
The tests have shown that the electronic board reached a very high temperature, close to the overheating values, which would cause the shutdown of the system. Therefore, to avoid this critical situation, our next move will be to add a thermal pad to the electronic board.

Dust bin tests
After the assembly of the dust collection system prototype shown in the previous update, we had to test it to check if the dust flow and the emptying process are fine. We turned on the vacuum system and manually emptied a bag full of sawdust in front of the dust shroud to test the flow, until the dust bin was full.

Here you can see the dust bin filling up at an accelerated speed:

Even though we reached an overall good result, we identified a few areas of improvement both technical and about the user experience, such as the gasket of the connection between the dust bin and the robot, the opening door to empty the bin and the snap-fit between the bin and the machine.

Some are minor issues; some will require additional work and tests. We are planning on making an iteration of prototype development in order to finalize the manufacturing project and kick off the mass production of Goliath CNC.

Production
Moving forward with production, we asked our partner for the electronics to modify the printed circuit boards of the individual boards in order to make them more easily testable and manufacturable.

Finally, we asked our partner for the injection molding to define more accurately the time necessary for the realization of the molds needed for the dust bin and they told us it will take several months to manufacture them due to the number of plastic components and the dimensions.

Next month we will update you on the software, we are working on the UX and UI design activities. We also have more tests coming up regarding the reliability of Goliath CNC.

Have a great week!
All the best,
Lorenzo, Alessandro, Davide
and the Springa team