Design freeze of Goliath CNC

Hello everybody, in this project update we will mainly focus on the dust resistance tests we ran recently, they are important tests that required a lot of time and work. After testing the internal heating, the dust bin and the repeatability of Goliath CNC, today the end of our series of tests before the design freeze has come. Once it is done, we will kick off the tooling production for manufacture.

Dust resistance tests
Goliath CNC will work and spend its time in a dusty workspace. The most critical areas are the air vents and the interfaces between the parts, they always act as a gateway for dust in a workspace environment. So, we wanted to test how dust impacts the components of Goliath CNC, firstly under various circumstances and secondly simulating years of life.

We built a dust chamber with all the functionalities needed to run the dust resistance tests, which is sealed and custom-designed: it had to be the size of Goliath CNC, to have a dust circulation system, a vacuum system increasing the suction inside the machine and to use talcum powder to reproduce dust. We calculated the test time necessary inside the dust chamber based on the internal volume of the machine and the sensors according to Ingress Protection Rating.

After 1 hour for the machine – less for the sensors – inside the dust chamber, we tried to start the machine, we verified that the sensors worked, and we checked the movement of the Z-axis as well of the wheels.

The results are that we found some dust inside, but every feature worked well so we can conclude that Goliath CNC resists to dust. However, thanks to these tests we identified the areas where the dust enters the machine, so we will improve the chassis and the plastic shells of Goliath CNC in the next weeks.

Dust bin
After the dust bin tests, we shared that we found a few issues which needed to be improved. Therefore, over the last months, we redesigned the emptying door, the gasket between the robot and the dust bin, and we strengthened the connection among the bin and the robot. Everything has been prototyped, so we will test this new Goliath CNC in the coming weeks.

Last week our partners for the assembly phase took our latest prototype to their premises to fine-tune and optimize the assembly process. In a couple of weeks, we should get Goliath CNC back and receive feedback from them regarding the final estimated time needed per unit.

We are launching the tooling production now, as a result of this series of tests. Therefore, next time we will tell you about the tooling for manufacture.

Have a nice week!
All the best,
Lorenzo, Alessandro, Davide
and the Springa team