Since the vast majority of our suppliers have been closed, we received fewer components than usual this month, but that does not mean that we haven’t made progress with regard to manufacturing.
From our injection molding supplier, we received yellow components which are the buttons on Goliath and the sensors, and other small parts on the sensors, which are the final ones.
In addition, we received the lower spinners which go on top of Goliath, we are making the last dimensions controls on these ones. We also collected the rubber flap (the piece of rubber connected to the suction hose) which is now fine after the improvements are done.
Besides, we reviewed the light guides on Goliath, the dimensions are fine, we have to make a small change to improve the performance of the lights and add the surface finishing. The LED light guides of the sensors’ battery are fine on all aspects.
Lastly, we received the first 30 samples of the springs inside the sensors: the dimensions are good, we have to test them.
Finally, we have been working on the last components this past month, which are the power cable stand, its clip (the plastic component that allows you to keep the cable attached to the power cable stand) and its hook (the hook that is screwed at the top of the power cord stand on which the power cable passes through).
Power cable stand
Regarding the power cable stand, we made a prototype of the final version which is already in place and without any change to be made. We defined the final configuration; therefore, we ordered the first pieces that are currently in production. The same thing for the hook, we have already issued the order; the lot has been made almost entirely and yesterday, the first pieces were shipped to be tested on the stand.
About the firmware, we have developed the necessary changes to the firmware to make it compliant with the risk analysis, for example when the spindle turns on it must comply with safety rules. On the one hand, we modified parts of the firmware and we worked on the part of HMI, human-machine interaction, we programmed the final version of how and when the sensor lights turn on according to the different steps to give also visual feedback about the status of the system. On the other hand, we have changed the way to update the firmware, that now can be updated directly with the USB plug on Goliath, so it is made via computer and not via a specific programmer.
Firmware testing is the final phase of firmware development. The code test lies in setting up an infrastructure to put the firmware to the test and bring to light firmware errors. We identified an external partner which could give us code quality analysis, then firmware tests, and a framework that will remain to us and that will be very useful to continue to test the firmware in the future. We kicked off the activity two weeks ago and this activity will go on in the next months.
In a first step, this partner will proceed to the code analysis and the creation of unit tests. There are always rare situations that will cause problems to the whole system, this code analysis and the testing tool is used to cover 100% of the firmware.
Stay safe everyone!
All the best,
Lorenzo, Alessandro, Davide
and the Springa team